Urinary incontinence, the involuntary loss of urine, is a very common condition that no one wants to talk about. Because of the stigma that surrounds it; many people are humiliated to seek help or think that it is something that they have to live with.
There are many factors that can cause incontinence in men and women:
- Aging/Post menopause
- After childbirth
- Pelvic floor prolapse
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate)
- Painful inflammation of the prostate gland
- Extra body fat increases the pressure on the bladder and can lead to urine leakage during exercise or when coughing or sneezing
- A chronic smoker’s cough can trigger or aggravate stress incontinence by putting pressure on the urinary sphincter
- Vascular disease, kidney disease, diabetes, prostate cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, and other conditions may increase the risk of urinary incontinence
Introducing Emsella, a technology based on HIFEM (High- Intensity Focused Electro-Magnetic) energy that produces deep pelvic floor contractions to treat urinary incontinence as well as to improve sexual health. This treatment has been FDA approved for both urge and stress incontinence for women and men.
During each session, BTL Emsella utilizes electromagnetic stimulation of pelvic floor musculature for the purpose of rehabilitation of weak pelvic muscles and restoration of neuromuscular control for the treatment of urinary incontinence. Unlike the usual Kegel exercises that you are doing on your own, the supramaximal contraction that Emsella induces in 28 minutes is equivalent to doing 11,000 Kegel exercises in only one session!
During your session, all you have to do is take a seat comfortably on the Emsella chair. There isn’t any need to undress or change into a gown, so you can stay in your clothing and remain seated for a 28-minute session. You may experience some tingling but there is no pain or other discomforts. You can bring a book or watch a movie that will keep you occupied for that duration.
This procedure helps to not only strengthen existing muscles but also build new muscle fibers and stimulate proteins. This also helps to enhance the neuromuscular control of the bladder.
Contact us today if you would like to learn more about this treatment!